No one said building a company was easy. But it’s time to be honest about how brutal it really is—and the price so many founders secretly pay.
This is a great article. It’s time more people were open about this.
The idea came from the fact that US markets toss out 15 billion dollars worth of fruits and vegetables each year
just because they are bruised or discolored. But they are still fresh and edible. I felt there was an opportunity to stop
the waste, so Ugly Fruit was born. Ugly Fruit is a stand that makes juice, jams, and dried fruits out of unattractive
produce donated from our neighborhood grocery stores. Ugly fruit, pretty yummy!
More on: mirimseo.com
This is too cute! We love this idea and the packaging is to die for.
This week I was lucky enough to be able to attend the 2013 National Stationary Show at the Javits Center here in NYC. I’m excited to announce that Simply Curated is expanding to carry paper goods!
New products will be added slowly as we redesign the site and start to carry new brands but I can’t wait to share with you what we have coming up.
Follow @sarahcooley on Instagram for a look at some of the things I lived at #NSS.
#Truth by John Updike.
Buy the print over at MoMA
Here is a collection of uplifting and heartwarming words of encouragement from the most sage voices in the tech startup world as you begin your own entrepreneurial journey.
- Throwing yourself off a cliff and assembling an airplane on the way down. - Reif Hoffman
- Being an entrepreneur is like eating glass and staring into the abyss of death. - Elon Musk
- Running a start-up is like eating glass. You just start to like the taste of your own blood. - Sean Parker
- Startups are hell. - Penelope Trunk
- It’s like we’re married, but we’re not fucking. - Y Combinator founder via Paul Graham
- I kept busy by thinking about how running that marathon was much like doing a startup. - Dan Martell
- People say doing a startup is like a marathon. It’s actually a roadtrip at night with no headlights. You think you’re going to Toledo but you’re actually going to Miami and you might not have enough gas so you might need to buy gas from someone who might take you out if you aren’t driving well. - Ben Silbermann via Jason Shen
- This is what running a startup is like…every day (cue video). - Jason Calacanis
- Running a startup is like being punched in the face repeatedly. - Paul Graham
- In my tiredness, my scars, and my strength I have noticed that launching and running a start-up is a lot like war. - Ryan Wood
- Running a startup is like having all the bad guys from Die Hard attack you, but you’re way more scrawny than Bruce Willis. - Aaron Levie
A healthy reminder that I’m not losing my mind. I just started a company.
Lots of new vintage gifts for mom! (at Artists & Fleas)
I’ve been burning our vanilla lavender sample this morning, I can see why it’s a customer favorite!!!
These are my two favorite candles right now! (at Artists & Fleas)
Make Hop Tea
Since the popularity of brewing, we have lost touch with the many uses of hops. Hop tea has dated back to the ancient times. The hop oils can help people in many ways. Like the sleep pillows, hop tea aids in insomnia, can promote appetite, cleanses your blood, can relieve arthritis pain, relieve gas and cramps by soothing muscle spasms and some say it can aid smokers with their cravings and nerves. I’ve also read, it can help women develop more milk while breast feeding and possibly cancer.
Here is a basic recipe I found online:
Basic Hop Infusion or Tea
Place 1 ounce dried hops per 1 quart jar Fill with boiling water
Strong Infusion ~ Cover jar. Steep for at least 4 hours but not more than overnight. Strain infusion and store in refrigerator for up to 48 hours. Serve hot or cold.
Hop Tea ~ Steep for 10-20 minutes. Strain and drink. This method is milder flavored as well as less effective. Serve hot or cold
Note: Many people will add other herbs such as, chamomile, peppermint, lemon grass, ginger or other herbs, which can aide in many ways as well.
Chamomile - Has antibacterial, antiseptic and disinfectant properties. Probably why most people drink it when they are sick.
Peppermint - Aides in digestive, respiratory and circulatory systems and is also an anti-inflammatory and antiseptic herb
Lemon Grass - Improves circulation, digestion and promotes oxygen intake
Ginger - Aides respiratory and digestive systems